Let me tell you a little story:
It was summer, I was 17 and I had the time of my life: I was in the south of France with my school class for ten days. We did a lot of sightseeing and educational stuff, but on day five we all went to the beach. I had bought a new bikini for the occasion, and felt pretty good: tanned, happy and only moderately self-conscious. Until I noticed the boys standing around, snickering and repeatedly looking in my direction. “What’s your problem?” I called out to them. They laughed some more, and then one of them shouted back: “You forgot your boobs!”
It sure looked like it. You see, I had been waiting patiently for my boobs to grow ever since I was 14. Since they stubbornly refused, I did what any girl would do: Bought a few push-up bras and faked it. This worked just fine, until that day at a beach in France: I had made the tactical error of not buying a push-up bikini. My usually C-cup looking breasts were on display in their natural A-cup size, and the boys had noticed.
Needless to say, I was mortified. I cursed teenage boys, the boob-growing gods for failing me, my genes, and my own stupidity in the bikini-buying department. How could I not have foreseen this?
It took me several more years, but in the end I made peace with my small breasts. Not only that, in the last decade I have grown extremely fond of them and their manageable size.
With summer upon us and boobiliciousness on display everywhere, I thought it's important for us small-chested girls to remind ourselves of the many advantages we have compared to our more well-endowed sisters.
So I compiled a list of 20 reasons why small boobs are awesome:
1. No boob sweat.
2. You ace the pencil test every time.
3. Bras? Who needs them?
4. Then again, if an outfit requires some cleavage, you can create the illusion with a push-up bra. Hopefully, teenage boys are not part of your daily life to point out the lack of breasts when you take the bra off – and if they are, you are now confident enough to tell them to shut up.
5. Sleeping on your stomach is not only possible, but comfortable.
6. Gravity is not your enemy.
(This will never be you.)
7. You can run without being hit in the face.
8. Ditto for horseback riding: No fear of being knocked out by your own boobs.
10. Men will notice your pretty eyes since they are not being distracted by something more interesting farther south.
11. No back pain caused by heavy breasts.
12. If you don’t want to look sexual, you won’t. Keep your push-up bra in the drawer for the day and you are fine.
13. You can wear button-down shirts without having to fear the dreaded button gap.
14. You can wear backless dresses.
15. Same goes for triangle bikini tops: no support, no problem.
16. You never have to worry about the shirt mullet, created by big boobs causing a top to be shorter in the front than the back.
17. Small breasts are never in the way when exercising.
18. If you spill food, it won’t land on your shirt, but falls straight down (or, if you are me, on your white pair of jeans).
19. From the waist up you look petite, even if you are not.
20. Trampolines are fun!
Ladies, show off your girls with pride, no matter the size! We are all beautiful.